Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Exquisite Rain

I woke up right around 11 am today. I got up and took advantage of the computer being free and caught up on updating the website for our newly formed homeschool support group and co-op. I meant to get that done yesterday but Dodger didn't work and spent most of the day on the computer.

At about 12:30, I realized that I hadn't eaten so I got some cereal, topped it with the last of the fresh strawberries, and came out to my little nook on the front porch.

It's a drizzly rainy day out with just the slightest chill in the air. The smells and sounds bring back memories of misty mornings in FL on my uncle's lake. Oh, how I miss On Golden Pond! I miss my uncle terribly, too. He's a soulmate of mine. He's one of those rare freethinkers, always questioning, always growing. I think I should give him a call this weekend.

This weather also reminds me of family vacations when I was a kid. Memories of mountain mornings at the camp ground and of all of the great places we got to visit as a family.

No one is out on my stretch of the block today. The young homeschooled girl two doors down from us was out on her porch when I came out here to enjoy my breakfast but she's no longer out. There's just me and the sounds of the world. Rain hitting the leaves, birds chirping here and there, a few cars driving by on the busy road a few over and distant sirens of an ambulance.

I almost wish moments like this could be captured and bottled up so we could return to the beauty and simplicity of it all when we have those moments of pain and chaos. But I have my words here and maybe a few pictures (as I should go get my camera) to return to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.