Wednesday, November 25, 2009

SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder Symptoms and Natural Treatments


I have suffered from SAD for many years now.  I suspect as far back as my teenaged years.  My teenaged years were filled with depression from my parents divorce and subsequent chaos, so SAD may have never even been considered as a factor in my mood.  Now that I have a teenager, I can see a shift in her mood this fall/winter season.  She's been less than her normal vibrant self.  I also see a change in my husband this season, too.  I suspect he's been dealing with SAD for some time now, too, but for some reason this year I'm more aware of it.

So, what can I do to help myself and my family?  I'm not keen on standard medicine's approach, most recommendations I've found online say anti-depressants are an option.  That's not for us.  There are however a few natural supplements that work well in elevating mood.  One I've been taking for months now is St. John's Wort.  Since taking it, I have noticed a big difference in the effects that SAD normally has on me this time of year.  St. John's Wort has to be taken everyday and it takes some time to build up in the body before it's effects are noticeable.  It didn't take me long to feel a difference but everyone is different.  I also take it at night before bed because it can cause drowsiness in some people.  Do be aware that if you are already on anti-depressants or birth control pills that St. John's Wort is not to be taken.  Other supplement recommendations are SAM-E, Ginkgo Biloba, Omega-3 fatty acids, Mustard flower essence and Serotonin boosters.  If you are on other medications, PLEASE consult your doctor and pharmacist before taking any of these supplements.

I also have a light therapy box thanks to my mom, a sleep study therapist.  I've noticed that many websites recommend using light therapy under a doctor's care.  There are many great quality light therapy boxes on the market.  Take some time and do your research before purchasing one.  You can also change the light bulbs in your home to full-spectrum bulbs.  You should be able to find these in most stores.  I would think that hardware stores would be your best bet if you can't pick them up at a drugstore or grocery store.  Also, get outside when you can.  If it's a sunny day, bundle up and take a walk.  15-30 minutes of sunlight is all your body needs to fight off SAD symptoms.

Doing those things that will help you lose weight, stay in shape and control insulin levels will also help with SAD.  Cut back on the empty carbohydrates.  You know, those things like white bread, candy, and soda are nothing but empty carbohydrates and will spike your blood sugar and make you feel lethargic.  Add exercise to your daily routine. Exercise boosts endorphins and creates a sense of well being as well as gives you a daily sense of accomplishment knowing that you're doing something good for your body.

How do you know if you might be suffering from SAD?  Here is a list of symptoms from About.com:

Change in Sleep Patterns
  • oversleeping but not refreshed
  • cannot or reluctantly get out of bed
  • require afternoon naps
Depression
  • feelings of despair, misery, guilt, anxiety, hopelessness, etc.
  • normal tasks become frustratingly difficult
  • withdrawal from friends and family
  • avoiding company
  • crankiness or irritability
  • lack of feeling/emotion
  • constant state of sadness
Lethargy
  • decreased energy
  • everything an effort
  • decreased productivity
  • Physical Ailments
  • joint pain
  • stomach problems
  • lowered resistance to infection
  • weight gain
  • premenstrual syndrome (worsens or only occurs in winter)
Behavioral Problems
  • appetite changes (usually increased appetite)
  • carbohydrate craving
  • loss of interest in sex
  • difficulty concentrating
  • not accomplishing tasks

And as always, check with your doctor or naturopath before self-medicating.  Do your research and ALWAYS check with your pharmacist to make sure none of the natural supplements or treatments will have negative interactions with any other medications you are taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.