Wednesday, October 21, 2009

the meteor shower this morning

So I went to bed just after midnight last night so that I could get up and watch the meteor shower this morning. I set my alarm for 4. I got up and threw on a jacket so that I could go outside and see how the sky looked before I went in to wake up Dancer.

It was really cloudy. I was bummed. I could only see two stars in the north east sky and after watching for a bit, even those got covered with clouds a time or two. At around 4:20, I decided to head back to bed.

I was just starting to fall back asleep when I heard two dings on my cell phone. It was the friend that I had texted last night asking if they all were going to be up watching the meteor shower. She must have just gotten up to watch, it was right around 5. She asked if I was watching and I told her about the clouds. She said that they were out and they could see the show. So, I decided to get back up and check the sky again. And what do you know, it was totally clear.

I watched for a few minutes and saw one streak across the sky. So, I went back in and woke Dancer up. Dodger was still up from earlier. We all went outside to watch. I got the umbrella chairs out of the truck for myself and Dancer. Dodger decided to go back in to grab a pillow and blanket and laid down in the bed of my truck.

We saw some little ones and some great ones streaking across the sky. Dancer and Dodger even saw one that exploded. I missed that one, bummer. The stars were just beautiful and the weather was decent enough to be outside for a good period of time without freezing.

About 30 in, Dodger decided to go back inside and Dancer took over the spot in the truck. She was chatting it up, talking about what she knew about the stars and planets. I was having a hard time hearing her from where I was sitting and she was amusingly annoyed to have to repeat herself to me so many times.

It was weird to hear the world start to wake up. The trains started to rumble and blow. We saw more and more plains, well their lights anyway, as the time progressed. I could hear horns start to honk and the beeping from a truck backing up We had what we're certain was an owl fly over the top of us and land in one of the trees in the front yard and start hooting.

Dodger came back out for a few minutes after the owl flew over. We told him about the owl and the other meteors we had seen. It was right around that time when I started smelling cinnamon rolls backing. One of my older (elderly at this point) neighbors was obviously up and making breakfast. Man, that smelled so good.

Dodger went back inside and Dancer and I probably stayed out for another 10 minutes or so. We saw a few more little ones before we decided to go in. I'm certain Dancer was happy that she got to see that. We've never done anything like this before. I can't say for sure, but I probably haven't done this before because of my work schedule in the past. It was certainly a beautiful night for it. I'm so glad that my friend texted me back and woke me up. We would have missed it yet another year if she hadn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.