Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Climb On! (Langston Hughes)

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now—
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

~ Langston Hughes, Mother to Son

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Liking it. Made me put my thinking cap on but it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that. I think it's the first time I've ever read Langston Hughes. Shameful, I know.

    Do you ever read Mary Oliver?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Langston Hughes. My favorite by him is, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers." It gives me chills, and makes me think of jazz.

    "I've known rivers:
    I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the
    flow of human blood in human veins.

    My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

    I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
    I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
    I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
    I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln
    went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy
    bosom turn all golden in the sunset.

    I've known rivers:
    Ancient, dusky rivers.

    My soul has grown deep like the rivers."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never read him before either but Oprah quoted that poem today on her show as she was climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge... I loved it so much that I hurried and looked it up before I forgot what she said.

    It's lovely and I will now have to grab a book of his poetry from the local library. :)

    Sara... that poem is just fabulous! I can see why it gives you chills. :) It gave me chills, too.

    I've never read Mary Oliver... but I will now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.