Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Day In the Life Of...

We all crawled out of bed around noon today {love homeschooling}. I had a day of running and waiting ahead of me. Dodger didn't work today but had to run an errand or two. So we all did what we needed to do to get our day started and shortly before my husband headed out he called for me to come into the living room. He had spotted a photo-op for me. He wanted to give me the opportunity to take a shot or two before he walked all over it...


Isn't it the sweetest thing? So cute. I actually squealed and said "aw, that's so cute."

Dancer had tap class this afternoon {love homeschooling} and while I was waiting in the truck (because the studio is being repainted and there's no place to sit inside) I noticed these bird's nests in the tree near me...


Here's a close-up of one of the nests...


Nearly all of the little trees around the place had a bird's nest in it but this little tree was the only one with three in it.

After tap class, we headed to the library to have Dancer's monthly book discussion group with some other homeschoolers. It's a small group but they are all really great friends. They discussed "The Giver" by Lois Lowery. It was a great discussion on not only the book but on the history of people/societies who's purpose has been to separate out people into desirables and undesirables. We discussed Hitler and how he chose who was a Nazi. We talked about the eugenics programs of the early 1900's. The discussion brought up the movie "Pleasantville" and how the people in color were shunned. We talked about slavery in the US. We talked about how it's the younger generations who are constantly responsible for changing the world and making it a place where these things will no longer happen. I mentioned how different it was between my generation and my parents generation when it comes to racism and how different it is between Dancer's generation and mine when it comes to homophobia.

We always get into some great discussions with this book group.

While we were there, I checked out a few books on beginning photography and one on crochet basics. I know how to crochet but I'd like to get better at it and the way to do that is to be sure that I have the basics down.

I picked up a few books off of the sale shelf. I even found one from Kodak on how to make good pictures. The others I found are "File... Don't Pile. A Proven Filing System for Personal and Professional Use", "She Got Up Off the Couch and Other Heroic Acts from Morreland, Indiana", and "How to Shit In the Woods, an environmentally sound approach to a lost art." Yes, I kid you not! That is what the book is called. How could I pass up a book with that name? As I browsed over the books on the shelf, my mind literally said, "Does that say shit?" LOL.

Here are the titles of the chapters...
  • Anatomy of a Crap
  • Digging the Hole
  • When You Can't Dig a Hole
  • Plight of the Solo Poop Packer
  • Trekker's Trots
  • For Women Only: How Not to Pee in Your Boots
  • What? No T.P.? or Doing Without

Seriously hilarious! It's seriously a how-to book on taking a dooce in the woods!

After the library, we headed back out to the dance studio. My daughter was supposed to have hip hop class but as it turns out, they are forcing the instructor to cancel the class. It seems that my daughter is the only one enrolled this quarter. So we went home and now I'm watching one of my most favorite movies, Groundhog Day, on Netflix. There's nothing good on TV tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.