Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Day, The Snow, and the Shoveling B!tch

I didn't get to sleep until 5am this morning... something is going to have to change there.  I'm sure that even though I'm having trouble getting to sleep, that bringing the iTouch to bed with me is NOT a good idea.  Sure, it gives me time to catch up on my blog reading... which I am sadly behind on.  So, I either need to quit bringing it to bed or I need to have some self-control and not stay up 'til wee hours of the morning on it.  I slept 'til nearly 1:30 this afternoon... so, it's not as if I'm having trouble getting enough sleep.  I would just prefer to get back to a more normal sleep/wake cycle.

The sun was shining today.  Which I was very grateful for since I decided it would be best to go out and shovel the driveway.  I did about 30 minutes by myself before I, not so nicely, asked for help from my husband and my daughter.  The snow was a bitch... not the amount because I've shoveled deeper snow already this season... but because we had the sleet/snow and it was hard and compact.  It did not want to move without extra force and effort on our part.  We were out there nearly 2 hours... and that was with 3 of us shoveling... it's a pretty long driveway, so that doesn't help matters any.  I had to shovel without my glasses on because I kept steaming them up... I could see better without them on than with them.




Dodger and I didn't talk for a bit after we both got inside.  I didn't ask him to help me nicely... which, come one, I was irritated that he never offers to help shovel the drive... this is the first time he's helped all season.  So, he was all bitchy about it while we were out shoveling.  He continued to cook up whatever it was he was cooking and I stayed in my room and tried to get warmed back up.

Later on he gave me a quick cooking lesson, which I tried to sound interested about... on how he boils down the ham shank and all.  I finally figured out that he was making ham and butter beans... which he added a can of lima beans to.  Oh, so yummy.  I already love ham and butter beans and I thought the lima beans gave it a nice little twist.

I then spent the rest of my evening doing stuff online and doing a bit of laundry.  Sometime a little after 10pm I decided that it was time to clean off my messy bed, so that I could change the sheets and fluff the feather bed.  After awhile the feathers tend to flatten and scatter and don't stay up where you need them the most, under your body, and it's been causing my back pain to flare up... so this was necessary to get done tonight since I don't like being in pain.  The activity and the tidying also helps me to feel a little more at peace, too... helps with the seasonal funk.


I decided to do a bit of cleaning in my email inbox and came across this blog post... I thought was an awesome validation to what I've been feeling about the winter season this year... your creativity needs winter-time. enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. What is normal? I've been working towards bed around 2 am, but you know 3 and 4 used to be normal for me, some nights I am still up that late. I don't sleep well into the morning a lot of days...

    You know I bitch about the cold and when it snows here we never ever would have to shovel it... I remember it well in PA and NY though. It sucks, I do not miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have a normal. 5am is not my normal. Sleeping past noon is not my normal. It makes the winter blahs worse for me.

    3:30 am is when I got to sleep this morning and the phone woke me up around 11. 11 - 11:30 is pretty much my normal wake time. 2 - 2:30 is usually bed time for me. I need abt 9 hours of sleep every day to feel optimal.

    I'm feeling pretty ok today except for the headache and my body feeling like I've been beaten up... from shoveling. I took 2 excedrine migrain pills and it's taken the edge off of both.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.