Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day One Without My Access To the World

Sigh. I sit here, again reduced to using the iTouch to connect to the Web. I suppose I am grateful that I still have access. I am for sure grateful that my laptop was still under manufacturers warranty. I had a chance to look at the work order form after I got home from taking it to the Geek Squad last night. It looks like I might be without my computer for a whole month. {{{{screaming silently inside!}}}}

I did get a little desktop computer time when Dodger went over to Josh's house this evening. I used that time to look through all sorts of links about putting together a household journal/binder. I am overwhelmed by the process. What should go in one? Do I make more than one for different things?

I know it seems a silly thing to be overwhelmed by but it's my perfectionism rearing it's ugly head. Perfectionism is a double edged sword. On one hand it drives us to do what we do in the best way possible but on the other hand it can be disabling because it can stifle the creative flow as well as makes us feel like failures if what we do isn't done right the first time. Perfectionism is a pretty big pain in the ass sometimes.

So tonight, I've got the beginnings of a household journal started. I am going to work on updating my new bill pay book this evening. The household journal will have to be a work in progress. I know that if I try to do it all at once, which is my tendency to do, that I will drive myself crazy and just give up on it.

I also have ten pages to get read in the next book club book. I need to read just over 9 pages a day to finish the day before our next meeting. We are reading another one of my choices, 'A Country Year: Living the Questions' by Sue Hubbell.

5 comments:

  1. I totally get the all or nothing and perfectionist streak, we have that in common....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph... it's kind-of tough for me to post links via the iTouch. If you Google 'household control journal' you will come up with all sorts of ways people have put one together. It's basically a way to have many of the important household papers in one place. Some people also use it to schedule their lives/family but I don't have any desire to use it that way. I basically want it to keep my papers and ideas organized so they aren't clogging up my brain.

    I'm thinking I should have more than one for different things... like gardening, crafting, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back before the insomnia took control of my life, I started a household control journal. I bought the binder, tabs, and paper. Wrote out the labels for the tabs..and put it on the top of the cabinet where it sits at this moment.

    Hopefully you are further along with yours!

    I should stop waiting for insomnia to cease and just start living my life again.

    Maybe if I got something done in the day time I would get tired at night.

    Sorry about the laptop but I am so glad you are writing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.