Thursday, August 24, 2006

How to Make Unschooling Work

How did I make unschooling work in my family?  I let go!  I let go of all of the old tapes running through my head of how things are *supposed* to be and just let them be what they are.  I started to change in myself what could be changed... what I felt I should change... what needed to grow.  I stopped trying to micro-manage my family.  I stopped trying to change them.

I looked at the beauty in the world around me... knowing that there are still some thorns and to watch where I step.  I choose everyday to look at the world through different lenses... different lenses than most people wear.  I choose to trust... my daughter, my husband, myself... I choose to trust the process that learning is organic and that we will get what we need when we need it.  I choose to trust my creator and live to bring peace, love, and joy to the world around me.  I choose to be proactive not reactive to my world.  I choose to reply to people with love and not anger.

Dodger still struggles a bit with letting go of the control... so I gently remind him to trust our daughter and to be there for her and talk to her about her world.  Not to control her world for her.

I look to other unschoolers who have *been-there-done-that* and take their example and apply it to my life... knowing that they are off the beaten path but they are way more grounded and living a much more beautiful and full life than the rest of the world that I see.  I take their opinions about my hang-ups and really try to see their POV... if I took it personally (like I've seen too many people do), I wouldn't be able to *get it* and apply it to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.