Sunday, February 5, 2023

Give God a Year

I picked up this book recently--likely at a thrift store--because the title spoke to me. I figured I'd look through it and if it felt doable and spoke to me and what I've been seeking, then I'd give it a try. Basically, I see this as a personal and social experiment...not testing God, per se, but I'm curious...if I give God a year, what will happen? I figure not giving God much of anything for a huge chunk of my life led me into some very dark and scary places, this has got to be better than that. I've already seen God's work in my life in many ways, even when I wasn't following him (I'm just going to use the genderfied pronoun here, because of tradition and all that. I don't really know that God is male, female, or whatnot). I'm curious and excited to see what God might do when I'm actually giving him the reigns and not trying to control everything.

This book is the author's memoir of her 365 day challenge of giving God a year of her life. It includes her process and some guidance on the steps to take in applying her process to our lives.

At this point, I'm convinced to try it. A year will pass anyway, so why not give this a go and see what happens. The author recommends journalling our process and how we're seeing God work in our lives. So, I'm just going to pop those journal entries here along with everything else I journal about my life.

To begin with, she asks us to prayerfully explore the things we want God to do--God's Part--and the things we need to do--My Part--and come up with a list for each. So, here's my list...

God's Part

"So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him." - Matthew 7:11 NLT

  1. to know God better and lean into his direction for my life
  2. our entire family to know and serve God
  3. reach my weight goal and stay there
  4. to be close to and have a healthy relationship with Dancer
  5. to have a God-led marriage and friendships
  6. vibrant health emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and physically
  7. no debt and financial fitness

My Part

"I discipline by body like and athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." - I Corinthians 9:27 NLT

  1. prayer and meditation; quiet time for reading and studying 12-Step literature, doing step-work, Bible study, and journaling
  2. yoga everyday
  3. start a strength and functional fitness program -- workout cards
  4. stay on abstinent food plan and track foods on MyFitnessPal
  5. moisturizing face, neck, hands, and heels before bed; brush teeth at least twice every day
  6. connect with one other fellow in Program
  7. invite myself to participate when wanting to avoid these things and pray on it
  8. track spending; make a budget and stick to it; plan purchases

The author reminds us that God's Part is for God. God knows the big-picture, and if I PRAY and OBEY, then God will fulfill his promises.

"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." - Matthew 6:33 NLT

God will give me everything I need. God knows what I need. God knows me better than I know myself. All I need to do is seek his Kingdom and his Righteousness, and God will provide everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.