Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wasting Time

Do you ever find yourself completely lost in the web, unable to free yourself from it's lure. You get up to "do something" only to find yourself back in-front of the screen moments later unsure of how your plan to "do something" got off-track once again.  I did that all day today.  I spent nearly half of my day reading and answering emails, reading Facebook, reading blogs, and just wasting time.  The few times that I did manage to pry myself away from the computer to get some housework done, I always ended up back in the computer chair without having accomplished much.

I wonder, though, what is wasted time?  Is it spending too much time online or in front of the TV?  How much is too much?  Who draws that line?

I still struggle with answers to that.  Conventional culture says that too much "screen time" is bad for us and wasteful.  But I always question conventional culture's ideas.  Was the housework that I didn't get done today more important than the great blogs I read and discovered today?  Was it more important than replying to important discussions on my favorite Yahoo Group?

What other things should we be accomplishing instead of "wasting time"?  What about these things are important?  What's our motivation behind accomplishing these things?

I have so many questions and the answers aren't quite clear to me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.