Saturday, April 29, 2006

Rated R for not Really

A few days ago while letting my Dancer play on the computer a bit the movie "My Cousin Vinny" came on. I noticed it was rated R. I couldn't in my head picture why it would be so... there's no violence, no gore, no nudity or sex. Then within the first 30 minutes I realized why, the language. I've heard people in the grocery store talk the same way and we watch a lot of shows on Comedy Central, so the language doesn't usually bother me... it's not necessary but it doesn't bother me when seeing it on TV. IRL, I'd rather hear people use real-thought out-yes I do have a brain-language instead of the potty mouths I hear... but hey, I'm no saint! I do use that language ESO when I'm upset... I don't make it a regular part of my vocabulary.

Anyhow, I got off the subject. About 30 minutes into the show, Dancer came over and laid down with me, and I told her that there was bad language in it but that she could watch it if she wanted to. She's like, "Mom, like I would ever say those words." She wasn't even interested in watching it, actually she took over the TV and changed it to some cartoons or the nick game shows that she likes watching.

All along, the ladies on the unschooling yahoo groups that I'm a part of have been saying that our young ones won't be interested in watching those adult movies. We get all kinds of concerns right and left coming from those who are just starting out in radical unschooling. I do keep the V-chip turned on on the TV in her room, just so I don't have to worry about what she might be exposed to when we (Dodger or I) are not hanging around and watching things with her. But there have been some things that we've all watched together and been able to discuss things that she may not understand with her.

Once again, the issue of trusting our children comes into play...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.