Friday, July 24, 2009

My daughter...

I woke up thinking about my newly teenaged daughter this morning.  My reason for getting up so early was because of her (she had golf lessons this morning), so I had a good enough reason for her to be on my mind.  But really, I woke up thinking about what I would have been doing 13 years ago today.  I would have still been in that yucky hospital room but my precious new baby would have been in my arms.
I remember that on the day she was born, Carrie Strug was winning a gold medal on vault (landing on one leg no less) in the summer Olympics.  I remember that when the nurses were finally able to bring my baby girl to me, that she never left my bed (except for the few times I needed to use the bathroom).  My girl was a co-sleeper right from the start.  I never planned it that way but it was so natural.  Where else would I expect my precious one to sleep but next to me.  She had just come from the warmth and comfort of my belly and it only felt right that she would want the warmth and comfort of my arms.

We were co-sleepers until she decided to sleep in her own room.  I think my mom tried to bribe her at one point (butt out mom!).  She was probably around 9 when she didn't sleep with me every night.  I miss being able to reach out and feel her breath and touch her face when she sleeps.  I miss the little girl but love this big girl that has taken her place.  She's so strong and sure of herself.  She's nothing like many of the teenagers I meet (or hear parents bitching about... quit bitching about your kids!).  I've always figured that we all have our bad days and our bad moments, so our family is no different in that way.  What is different is our respect for our daughter and in turn, her respect for us.

All of this to say, I woke up thinking about my beautiful daughter today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.