Friday, October 20, 2006

Preach it Sister!

So last night Dancer had tap and jazz class at RCC.  As I was picking her up from class, I noticed some CDs sitting on a table outside the auditorium.  So I stopped by to see what they were after Dancer got out of class.  The CDs were of the singer Barbara Bailey Hutchison.  I have heard of her before but never heard any of her songs.  As I was filling out the sheet to get on the mailing list, someone involved with the concert asked if we wanted to come in a hear the last 2 songs.  "Well sure," I said.  I was hooked, immediately!  The last song she sang spoke volumes... spoke of everything that has been in my heart and mind about how the Faith that I take as my own has become something distorted... something religious and hateful and hurtful... so much so that when people hear Christian, they don't think of Christ and Love... they don't think of grace and peace and joy.  It's something that hurts me so very deeply... maybe because I know it hurts my Lord so very deeply.

Anyhow, if you look to the top left-hand corner of my blog you'll see a little music play button... click it and you'll hear part of the song that spoke so much in so little time... "It's Love."  The words are below...
I read it in the news today
They're trying to pass a law to say
We don't have the right to love
Everyone the way we want
But who's to say what they believe
Is gonna be what's right for me and you
Maybe they forgot
It's love, it's love we're speaking of, it's love

If I was born left handed
Or if my eyes were blue
Would it make a difference
In what I mean to you
Will we see before we reach
The point of no return
Intolerance won't teach us
The lesson we must learn
It's love, it's love we're speaking of, it's love

It's love, that fills us with the light
By the grace of God
The greatest gift in life
It's love, that brings us to our knees
Faith and hope are strong
But greater than these is love
Fundamental ignorance
Based on religious fear
Will never get us anywhere
Certainly no nearer to
The One who's touch created us
And makes us all the same
For whenever two or more of you
Are gathered in the name
It's love, it's love we're speaking of, it's love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.