Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Really, I can't stand Mother's Day (it feels so much like Valentines Day... a day conceived to get people to spend their money and celebrate love one day out of the year, when love should be a daily expression).  I don't have much of a relationship with my mom and I don't need a day to remind me of that.  It all feels so contrived.  The dinner after the dance concert (our dance concerts are always on Mother's Day weekend) and feeling that I have to buy her something, when I really don't have the extra $ to do so.

And for myself, as a mother, I don't want 1 day out of the year when my family feels that they should celebrate me.  My family is pretty good about staying in tune with each other every other day of the year.  I don't need a special day celebrating motherhood.  The celebration is in the small things that happen throughout the rest of the year.

KWIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on Circa 1975 are moderated.